The 4-Step Process to Get Out of a Rut
It happens to the best of us. We hit a roadblock in life where we lack motivation, and our energy feels chronically depleted. The word ambition is no longer in our vocabulary as we have succumbed to the doldrums of everyday life. We’re trapped on a merciless hamster wheel with no end in sight.
Wake up. Eat. Go to work. Come home. Eat. Watch TV. Go to bed. Repeat.
I’ve been there, so I know the feeling. I was going through the hardest time of my life. Almost everything that could go wrong did go wrong, and watching television became my escape. I would watch television from the time I came home from work until it was time to go to bed. Getting lost in the lives of the characters helped me not think about my life. But one day it hit me, “I’m sitting here watching other people live out their dreams.” Once I had this epiphany, I turned the TV off and got to work on my goals. This was the beginning of the transformation that changed the course of my life.
This is the 4-step process to escape your rut and begin thriving as you work towards building the life of your dreams.
- RECOGNIZE THE SIGNS YOU’RE STUCK
- You lack energy.
- You’re not excited for the day.
- You stay in your comfort zone.
- You’re not getting ahead.
- IDENTIFY WHY YOU’RE STUCK
- Addicted to your comfort zone.
- Afraid to try something new due to fear of failure.
- Lack direction.
- GO DEEPER
Ask yourself these questions:
- What parts of life bring me joy?
- What makes me unhappy or stressed?
- Am I doing things because I want to or because I think I should?
- Do my relationships provide meaning and fulfillment?
- Am I only sticking with my job/relationship/project because I don’t want to waste the time and effort I’ve invested?
- HOW TO ESCAPE
- Get out of denial.
- Acknowledge the rut.
- Stop blaming others for the way you feel and behave.
- Have compassion for yourself .
- Uncover the real reason.
- Identify your limiting beliefs.
- Recognize the stories you tell yourself about who you are that hold you back.
- Create healthy habits.
- Improve your diet.
- Go outside and get some sun.
- Practice gratitude.
- Take on a challenge.
- Learn a new skill.
- Do something completely out of your comfort zone.
- Get support.
- Get a coach or accountability partner.
Take back control of your life! You don’t have to remain in a rut, but you must decide you’re ready for a change, and then act. If you’re willing to put in the work, you can change the course of your life. The key word is act. No action. No results. Your life. Your choice.
Follow Terrance L. Moore on Instagram